Aug 09, 2020  
School of Arts & Sciences Handbook 2019-2020 
School of Arts & Sciences Handbook 2019-2020

Student Services


Campus Store Information Technology
Counseling and Career Center Library - Watne Memorial Library
Disability Services Lost and Found
Financial Aid Mail Center
Food Services Student Billing
Health Services  

Campus Store

The Campus Store offers Crown apparel, souvenirs, drinkware, and gift cards. Hours are posted outside the store and are subject to change. Shop online at

Textbooks and supplies for academic programs may be purchased from the virtual (online) campus bookstore. The online bookstore is found at The Virtual Bookstore offers both new and used textbooks along with an online book buyback program. Students with financial aid balances will also be allowed to utilize the virtual store voucher system to charge books to an online account.

Counseling and Career Center

Career Counseling

The College provides student-centered/career-related assistance and programs such as general career guidance, choosing a major, resume and cover letter advice, internship and job search, interview preparation, professional networking and branding, applying to graduate school and more. Staff is available to assist students as they take career-related steps in their journey to serve and influence the world. Students are encouraged to accept responsibility for their career needs/direction and connect with the Counseling and Career Center to examine their God-given gifts and talents in terms of vocation/calling and gain familiarity with the world of work; and to learn, adapt, and thrive in an ever-changing job market by utilizing technology and social media such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Skype, and E-Portfolios (Equip). Connect with the Counseling and Career Center via social media and

A variety of jobs on campus are available for students. Check Crown Career Network (CCN), as well as contacting Facility Management Services or the campus food service provider. On campus jobs are also listed in the daily email announcements. 

Personal Counseling

The Counseling Services Office offers professional, confidential counseling services for all registered students. The Counseling Services Office has on-campus counselors and counseling interns who are available to students by appointment. There is no fee for the use of this service. Students will typically begin with a weekly one-hour appointment which may decrease in frequency as they move along a healing path. Counselors take a holistic approach by addressing mental health, as well as, spiritual and physical health, and academic success. There are occasionally situations when a student's needs and/or the community's well-being may warrant the student being referred to off-campus professional counseling. In this case, the student is responsible to pay for the counseling fees and any transportation costs.

Coordinated Care Committee

At times students may experience special circumstances and personal areas of challenge and concern that require specific attention and support. These circumstances include danger to self and others, personal events (i.e. bereavement, witness to or victim of a crime, accident, health crisis, etc.), persistent behavioral patterns (i.e. eating disorders, self- injury, addiction, risky private and social involvements, etc.), and other activities such as matters of school discipline, academic issues, and inappropriate involvement by a student in other settings. In these cases, Student Development may form a Coordinated Care Committee in order to better serve and support the identified student.

The purpose of the Coordinated Care Committee is to ensure the student's well-being and success in the Crown College community with support and encouragement through Crown College student services. A Coordinated Care Committee will be formed with the student's knowledge and written consent. In some circumstances, compliance with the Coordinated Care Committee may be required in order to remain a student in good standing at the College. The Coordinated Care Committee members will be representatives from Student Development, Counseling Services and Health Services offices. Other faculty, staff and outside resources that are involved with the student (coaching staff, internship supervisor, employer, and academic advisor) may be asked to serve on the Coordinated Care Committee at the student's request or the committee's discretion. The Coordinated Care Committee may set goals for and monitor student progress; advocate for the student socially, academically, and spiritually; and recommend services and support available to the student from outside resources. The student will be informed by an appointed committee member of what is discussed in the Coordinated Care Committee meetings, and will also be informed when the committee is disbanded because the student no longer requires support.

In the case of an emergency situation, the College reserves the right to activate a Coordinated Care Committee without the consent of the student.

Do You Know Someone Who Needs Help?

If a student is having difficulty with an issue in his/her life, whether it be in violation of the Community Covenant or not, he/she is strongly encouraged to seek help from some member of the campus community. When students come forward seeking help, every effort will be made by the College to bring healing, wholeness and reconciliation. Professors, Counseling Center, Health Services, and Residence Life staff, as well as members of the Office of Student Development are eager to listen and help students through difficulties.

The Counseling Center is the one area where violations of the Crown College Student Handbook are not reported to Student Development unless they involve the safety of the individual or someone else.

Students are encouraged to seek mentors who are mature in their faith and life experience to walk alongside them in their personal, spiritual and emotional growth. For information about obtaining a mentor, contact the Director of Student Engagement.

Disability Services

The Office of Disability Services of Crown College coordinates services needed by students who have a documented physical, learning, emotional, and psychological/psychiatric disabilities. All requests for accommodations, whether physical or academic must be made through the Office of Disability Services.

Our commitment is to provide reasonable accommodations and services to students who have disabilities so that students with disabilities have equal access to the opportunity for academic success as student without disabilities, not to provide special treatment or advantages that students without disabilities do not receive.

  • Student Responsibilities:
  • Identify him/herself as a student with a disability by making an appointment with the Director of Disability Services to discuss the disability as well as reasonable accommodations.
  • Provide adequate documentation of your specific disability. This documentation should be no more than 3 years old and be signed by an appropriate professional qualified to diagnose the disability. Any Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan should also be provided when available.
  • Discuss with each professor the necessary accommodations for his/her classes.
  • Please note that accommodations will not be provided until approval is given by the Director of Disability services.

For more information on the Office of Disability Services please contact Dr. Tom McCracken (Director of Disability Services) at 952-446-4216 or by email at

Financial Aid

Financial Aid is a combination of grants, scholarships, loans and work study. To determine eligibility students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at The priority date to apply for applying for financial aid is December 1 for the following academic year. Detailed Financial Aid information and forms are available on the website at

Crown College recommends that all eligible degree seeking students apply for financial aid and exhaust all forms of federal loan programs before considering private alternative student loans.

Food Services

Sodexo offers dining services for a variety of events, campus dining, the Storm Café, Sherburne Ave. Coffee Shop, and individual catering needs.

A. General Program Information and Guidelines

All undergraduate students residing on campus are required to participate in one of three food service meal plans. College freshman are required to participate in the 15 Meal plan; there are 19 possible meal choices in an academic week. General guidelines are:

  1. Students are charged for a full meal each time they enter the Dining Center.
  2. Students MUST present a valid College ID card/meal card at all registers.
  3. Student ID cards and Meal Plans may not be shared.
  4. Students who utilize their weekly meal allowance may use FLEX dollars to purchase additional meals.
  5. Students may use FLEX dollars to purchase meals for guests.
  6. Any guest of the College may purchase a meal during serving hours from the Dining Center cashier.
  7. Crown Cash is accepted at all three food service areas: Dining Center, Storm Café and Sherburne Ave. Coffee. Crown Cash may be purchased at the Sherburne Ave. Coffee location.

Sodexo offers dining services for a variety of events, campus dining, the Storm Café, Sherburne Ave. Coffee Shop, and individual catering needs.

B. Dining Center

The food service program provides a number of different meal plans to students that vary the number of meals eaten in the Dining Center and the amount of FLEX dollars available for use in the Storm Café, Sherburne Ave. Coffee, or for a guest in the Dining Center.

The Dining Center serves breakfast, lunch and dinner on weekdays. Weekends are limited hours with brunch and dinner served. Hours for the Dining Center are posted at the Dining Center entrance. All food must be consumed in the Dining Center. Students not on a meal plan may have money deposited into their account by contacting Crown College Dining Services.

C. Sherburne Ave. Coffee

Sherburne Ave. Coffee proudly brews Caribou Coffee and serves a variety of coffee, tea, and bottled beverages. Sherburne Ave. Coffee accepts FLEX dollars, cash, and most major credit cards.

D. The Storm Café

The Storm Café offers anything from burgers and quesadillas to sizzling salads, as well as daily specials. There's something for everyone! Hours are posted.

E. Food Service During Breaks

There are scheduled breaks during the year in which no food service is offered. Food Service Breaks are generally during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Breaks. Please refer to the current Academic Calendar for dates when Food Services are closed.

F. Meal Plan Exemptions

Meal plan exemptions may be granted for a dietary related allergy or illness that has been diagnosed by a practicing MEDICAL DOCTOR and which cannot be reasonably accommodated by the food service provider. Crown College Food Service is willing to make special accommodations to work with students to meet their dietary needs and certain exemption requests may not be granted.

Students must submit information from their medical doctor on a "Meal Plan Exemption" form available in the Student Development office. The Meal Plan Exemption Committee will evaluate the exemption form; the committee will determine whether the food service can accommodate modifications to the student's nutritional plan or whether an exemption is in order. The committee will keep all personal health information strictly confidential.

Health Services

A. Crown Nurse

The campus health office is staffed most weekdays (excluding holidays) by a registered nurse and is open to all registered students. Free, confidential health services include physical assessment, first aid, over-the-counter medication, medical referral, and wellness consultation.

  1. A Student Health History form with personal immunization information is required by law for all students attending classes on campus.
  2. All student health information will be kept confidential according to FERPA and HIPPA regulations. In emergencies, health information may be shared as needed with emergency personnel.
  3. In case of serious illness or injury, the parents/guardians of students will be notified.
  4. The campus health office cannot excuse students from classes, practices, or chapels. Students are encouraged to notify their professors and coaches regarding illness-related absences.

B. Health Insurance

Crown College undergraduate students enrolled in six or more credits are required to maintain personal health insurance coverage as required by federal law and to provide documentation of that insurance to Health Services. For insurance options, please visit or

C. Campus Immunization Policy

  • Students enrolled in one on-campus class and housed in College residences and all students taking two or more on-campus classes are required by law (MN State 135A.14) to submit immunization records verifying tetanus/diphtheria (Td) immunization (within the past 10 years) and two measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccinations (dates must include month, day and year).
  • In accordance with state law, Crown College also recommends meningococcal and Hepatitis B immunizations.
  • Some exemptions for medical or philosophical reasons are permitted.

Information Technology

The Information Technology (IT) department is here to serve the Crown College community by providing campus network, computer, phone and other technology-related services. Computer labs are available as a service to full and part-time students, faculty, and staff. Students receive an account that allows access to the campus network. Once activated, these accounts not only provide a means of accessing the campus network, which includes centralized file storage, public access printers, and Internet access, but also functions as a student's access to email.

The IT Policies outlined here intend to provide for reliable services to the Crown community.  The Computer Use Agreement contains policy which governs the use of the campus network. Before receiving a username and password, the student must consent to the agreement. Students, faculty, and staff who use the campus network are responsible to know and abide by the guidelines found in the Computer Use Agreement. It is expected that students will maintain the highest standards of personal integrity and ethical behavior in their use of computer software and services.

Here are the relevant policy documents:

<>·Computer Use Agreement

<>·IT Penalty Information

<>·Copyright Policies

Student Computers and Campus Internet

All residence areas are equipped with wireless connections to the campus network. Codes for the wireless network are available at the IT Helpdesk. Student computers and handheld devices must have a wireless card installed in their system in order to connect to the College network. Please contact IT for specific details.

Crown College uses content filtering software to block inappropriate sites based on the College Computer Use Agreement and the Crown College Community Covenant. This software filters by category instead of keywords to allow access to research resources while blocking inappropriate web content. Additionally, this software allows the observation of internet traffic and monitoring of sites visited on a per-user basis. In the event a student is suspected to be accessing or attempting access to inappropriate content he/she will be contacted by student development and may incur disciplinary action.

Library - Watne Memorial Library

Among the many resources currently available in the Watne Memorial Library are:

  • Over 260,000 volumes, including almost 90,000 print books and about 180,000 e-books, as well as DVDs, videos, and CDs
  • ​Over a million Kindle books available (if we don't have the book you need, ask a librarian. They may download it on Kindle and check the Kindle out to you)
  • Crown InfoSearch (WorldCat)-the largest library online catalog in the world with access to over 200 million books and other resources in 485 languages, contained in 74,000 libraries around the world. Much of these resources are available via Interlibrary loan
  • ​Over 100 research databases containing almost ​40,000 full-text e-journals containing literally millions of articles
  • ​​​Films on Demand which contains over 30,000 academic videos and video clips
  • ​Mango language learning software for learning over 70 languages
  • Cameras, video cameras, voice recorders, laptop computers, and Kindles that can be checked out
  • ​Group study rooms and private study cubicles
  • ​Wireless access throughout the library

If you can't find the book you need in our library, ask a librarian. He or she may download it from the one million Kindle books available and check the Kindle out to you, or we may get the book from more than 270 million books available in other libraries through "interlibrary loan", or we might just purchase the book from Amazon.

Go to the library we page at

Become a library Facebook fan at

Lost and Found

Lost and found articles, as well as inquiries about lost articles, should be directed to Facility Management Services. Clothing and less valuable items go in a bin near the Weight Room entrance. More valuable items such as electronics, keys, and jewelry are kept in the Facility Management Services office. After 30 days, any unclaimed items are discarded.

Mail Center

The College maintains a substation of the United States Post Office and provides UPS shipping. Hours are posted.

  1. Mail is picked up at the Post Office and distributed through the College Mail Center. All Undergraduate program students (including commuter students) are to obtain a campus mailbox. Notice of packages will be sent via e-mail.
  2. Students are responsible to read information received via campus mail and for knowing contents of information distributed via this means of communication.
  3. Students are responsible for mailing their own letters and packages. The Mail Center accepts cash or checks. To guarantee packages go out the same day, they must be at the Mail Center by 1:00 p.m. of that day. For packages sent through UPS - 10:00 a.m.
  4. Students who are leaving Crown for a semester, graduating, doing an internship, or on summer break must fill out an Information Form from the Mail Center. Only first class USPS mail will be forwarded. If no Information Form is on file, all mail will be returned to the sender or disposed of in accordance with postal regulations and the mailbox will be closed.

Student Billing

The Student Billing Office oversees each student's financial status with the College. Personnel are available to assist students and their families so they understand the overall process, as well as the policies and deadlines associated with paying their bill.

Students are responsible for financial obligations resulting from tuition, fees, room/board, miscellaneous services, fines, etc. These obligations may be paid through a combination of financial aid (scholarships, grants, and loans), cash, check, credit card or by registering for the Nelnet Campus Commerce payment plan.  The payment plan eliminates the lump sum payment due at the start of each semester but requires the balance to be paid within the semester. For more information, visit or call 1-800-722-4867.

Students are required to pay their semester bill before the semester begins. See the Academic Calendar for specific dates. Students who fail to do so will receive a late fine and may be administratively withdrawn from the College. In addition, monthly service charges will accrue on all outstanding balances.  Charges during the semester resulting from miscellaneous services, fines, etc., are due upon notification.

Registration for classes is dependent upon full payment of all prior charges. Students whose accounts are not fully paid will not be allowed to register for any upcoming semester until their account is paid in full.

If a student decides to withdraw from the College, appropriate forms must be filed with the Registrar's Office. The tuition refund schedule is available on If a refund is due, funds must be returned to the financial aid programs from which they came. This may cause an owing balance, which will be due upon notification.

Upon final departure from Crown, students must make full payment of any outstanding balance including all library, parking, and disciplinary fines as well as any other charges before the College will issue a transcript or diploma.

A. Financial Aid Refunds

Crown College partners with Nelnet Campus Commerce for refunds and disbursements. If a refund for excess financial aid is due, students have a choice to receive a re-loadable Crown College Discover Prepaid Card, or direct deposit. Learn more at or call 1-888-425-1138.

B. Textbook Vouchers

Students participating in financial aid may have access to a voucher for textbook purchases made through the Crown College Virtual Bookstore.

To be eligible for textbook vouchers, students must:

  1. Apply for financial aid.
  2. Have funds in excess of tuition and associated fees to cover book costs.
  3. Purchase books through the Crown College Virtual Bookstore. (MBS)

Once issued, the voucher information will be sent to the Crown student email address from MBS. The voucher will expire just prior to aid disbursement.